Final day of a retreat at home

What a strange and wonderful final afternoon of a vacation retreat at home.  A whirlwind of activity, coalescing within Mass at St Paul Shrine. The initiative blossomed to attend the Mass as a Hospice scheduler, a pleasant woman of casual acquaintance, has insisted time after time that she would like to meet me for Mass at the Shrine.  I was never clear how she knew I attended the Shrine, speculating the news made it her way through the trainer I am working with in regards to educating the Franciscan Third Order on volunteering opportunities.  Mass at the Shrine immediately proved remarkable as word of Mother Angelica passing away on Easter Sunday flittered about.  The extraordinary only multiplied as John the Hermit explained to me this man from the Shrine, Tony, was assisting him in repairs upon his car.  Of course, I know Tony as he is Ann’s cousin.  I have been imploring John to just pay to have the repairs done, yet he declares he can do the work himself.  Finally, an obvious solution presented itself.  Yesterday, Easter Sunday, a strange thing happened that I have been struggling with.  Mary gave me a wonderful Easter Card, thanking me for all I do for her, for allowing her to accompany me on visits to the elderly.  Her thirty year career, a life she cherished, involved caring for the elderly at nursing homes as a nursing assistant was revisited by taking her to see patients.  She is very good with patients.  They love her small, soft, gentle Oriental way.  Yesterday, we prayed a Rosary and Divine Mercy chaplet with the favorite patient in Huntsford.  The patient is so much better, although I see feeling better for her only means the opportunity to complain and scold the nursing home staff.  Her words to me: ‘They treat me like a dog around here, kicking me all the time.  Let’s go to my home and have some nice cold drinks’.  I explained that would not be possible, and that the staff was only trying to help her.  Mary was very good in calming her, telling her to tell all her complaints to the Virgin Mary, who would then personally take her sorrows to Our Lord.  Anyway, back to the Easter Card from Mary, upon opening the gift I found a hundred dollar bill.  I did not know what to do.  I felt it was not proper, yet something told me not to give the money back.  My first reaction was I must give the money immediately back to her.  Hearing about John’s car trouble a light turned on.  I mentioned my discomfort with the hundred dollars from Mary, informing him that now it was clear what to do with the money.  I begged him to take the money and use it to fix his car.  It all worked out beautifully.  This all swirled around the visit of the Hospice worker, Gail, to the Shrine to attend Mass.  Something is up there, something good, yet calling forth patience.  I am not sure, desiring not to define.  She is inviting, breaking forth in approaching me on a personal level, yet hesitant, obviously fighting with herself about matters.  She wants to get together, then pulls back, and finally we shared Mass together, although she arrived late.  We were unable to touch basis before Mass.  I remain patient, pleased with her advance.  Now we wait upon dinner tonight.  We could not have lunch, since she had a doctor’s appointment.  She learned she has a respiratory infection.  Dinner tonight is contingent upon a nap, a registering of how she feels.  I am honored she even considers, smiling internally.  There amidst it all was Ann, eliciting so much forth it is best not to comment.  Yet within it all is a tremendous respect and desire to have her a part of my life.  There is such a strong attraction she has upon me.  God is good and all giving.  This has been a special Lent, and a blessed Easter retreat at home.  I did not even mention an amazing bedside vigil yesterday, the woman passing away early this morning.  Nor did I say anything on an incredible and efficacious morning session with Lilly my Spanish tutor. Once again, God is good and all giving.


Leave a reply